IllaPhilosophus

Illa Philosophus is Latin for "She Thinker". I'm always thinking about something important, and this is where I'll write it all down. it may mean nothing to the people reading, but it means something to me.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

It comes down to trust

I've been thinking about something.

What is a friend??
Webster's number one definition is "A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts."
Okay, so why don't I have more friends? It's because of that last part, I think. Trust. I was thinking last night about how many people I really do trust. It's not that many.

The number two definition is "A person whom one knows; an acquaintance." Well, if that's a friend, I have plenty. I know a lot of people and have a lot of aquaintances.
But I still stick with the first one. It's about trust. Most of the people I know who are close to my age I don't trust. There have been several instances when I've told people something, and by the next week the entire college group knows. I'm not naming anyone in particular, but they'd know who they are.

Why do people my age feel the need to share everything about everyone?? If someone tells me something in confidence, I'm going to keep it to myself. And I expect the same from others. If I sit down to talk to someone, and say something like "keep this between you and I" I expect my wishes to be respected! That doesn't mean "keep it to yourself for 2 hours then tell everyone you know"! It means "this is not public info, I just need someone to talk to about stuff."

I was talking to a friend (a definition #1 friend) and she was saying how its hard to find friends because it can be awkward meeting new people. I agree.
This may come as a shock to some of you who know me, but I'm actually pretty popular in a few of my classes. I actually do talk to everyone in those classes. I'm one of the more popular Cadets in my ROTC class. (whether that's good or bad is yet to be determined) But I wouldn't call any of these people def#1 friends. Def#2 maybe. Although I would trust some of the people in ROTC with my life if I were in a bad situation, I don't trust them with anything else.

So, what is it that makes someone worthy of being my def#1 friend? Well, I have to be able to trust them with anything I tell them. They need be to a good influence on me. They can't use me when they need me, and ignore me at other times. I prefer it when people will listen to my point of view, because I really do have good insight into things most of the time. I'm deeper than people give me credit for. I need people who will take the chance to get to know me, and not assume facts not in evidence. And I want someone who will be willing to join me in being completely and utterly stupid at times. I like to have fun myself and have fun with others around me.

Think you're up to the challenge?? Show me.

That's all I'll say.

----------------------------
Besides this:
http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html

I scored a 98% on the Dixie side. Score for Rebekah!

1 Comments:

Blogger RosieBoo said...

Great post, Rebekah. I know I'm older than you, but I think you rock and the points you make are very valid. When someone shares something confidential with me, it goes down with my ship. Otherwise, why even tell someone it's confidential if the other person is going to spread it.

I'll step off my soapbox now...

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home